LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HITCHCOCK, Texas Some piglets died in a barn fire at Hitchcock High School early Friday.

The electrical fire started just after 2 a.m. in the show barn at 6625 FM 2004.

Six piglets died. Students had just bought the baby pigs Thursday with plans to raise them and show them in the Galveston County Fair next spring.

Heat lamps, secured by tie-wires, were placed in the pens to keep the piglets warm. One of the tie-wires broke and fell into the pen, igniting the fire, which quickly spread to nearby pens.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/outreach/2014/07/22/11892848/