LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HOUSTON -- A fast-acting neighbor helped an elderly couple escape from their burning home in southeast Houston early Friday.

According to the Houston Fire Department, the couple was sound asleep at their house on Gertin at Scott around 12:35 a.m. when a mini refrigerator on their back indoor patio caught fire and flames spread to the back wall.

A neighbor who lives behind the house saw the flames and banged on the door, waking up the couple.

The husband and wife escaped without harm.

HFD arrived and extinguished the blaze. The refrigerator possibly had a short, which caused the fire to ignite.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/07/24/12408004/