GRANBURY, Texas -- A man suspected of shooting a Hood County deputy in the head Friday morning was killed by Granbury police near City Hall after wounding another police officer in a gun battle.

Late Friday afternoon, authorities surrounded the home of Ricky Don McCommas, the suspect killed in the shooutout, as they waited for a search warrant in Joshua. The McCommas family left the home earlier and authorities said they were taking precautions as they suspect explosives are inside the residence. Law enforcement said McCommas sold guns from the home.

Court records revealed McCommas was charged with sexual assault of a child. Joshua Police Chief Annabeth Robertson said he was accused of raping his wife's niece on July 4, 2012 behind a grocery store. The chief said McCommas was in Granbury to confront the victim.

Court records show McCommas missed a court appearance Friday morning. A warrant for his arrest was issued and his bond raised from $100,000 to $200,000.

Granbury Police Department Chief Mitch Galvan said the wounded officer, identified as Chad Davis, was transported to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital. He is alert and did not suffer life-threatening injuries. DPS spokesman Lonny Haschel said he was shot in an upper extremity.

Hood County Deputy Lance McLean, 38, was shot in the head and is in serious condition at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

Family members and coworkers identified the shot deputy, who is also a volunteer Hico firefighter and member of the Hood County Honor Guard. The incident began with a disturbance call at 10:50 a.m. Sheriff's deputies were dispatched near the intersection of Edgecliff Ct. and Lakeview Rd. Upon arrival, McCommas opened fire on the responding deputies,Haschel said.

McLean was shot in the head. Another deputy called for backup as McCommas, 57, drove into town in a white van, Haschel said. According to Galvan, city police officers spotted the van near the 200 block of Houston St. at about 11:02 a.m.

McCommas exited his van on the east side of City Hall and opened fire with an assault-type rifle on the officers, striking one, the chief said.

Police returned fire and killed the man, Galvan added. The suspect was not correctly identified in an afternoon press conference. Haschel later confirmed that McCommas was who should have been named.

Haschel said he could not name the type of weapon used or the amount of shots fired because of the ongoing investigation.

This is still unfolding, we still have folks at the scene, Haschel said.

Witnesses Gary Farina and Joe Vandaveer said the suspect was wearing what appeared to be tactical gear. The two witnesses said the man looked at them as they stood near City Hall and then swung his rifle toward officers who had pulled in behind him. Farina said he then heard gunfire, although it was not clear who shot first.

He got out of the van and three of us were standing there and then for a split second he looked at us and turned, and as soon as he turned, we started hearing gunfire, Farina said. As soon as we heard the gunfire we turned and came to the back of the building.

At least one window at City Hall was hit during the shootout. No one was injured because of it.

Officers placed at least 40 evidence markers along Houston St. near the intersection with Bridge St.

An abandoned white van sat in a parking lot near an assault-type rifle, according to footage shot by HD Chopper 8. The body of the suspect was covered with a white sheet.

Granbury is about 41 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

Read or Share this story: