LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

SAN ANTONIO -- Joint Base San Antonio says nearly all of its civilian employees will feel the sting of sequestration if the cuts take hold on Friday.

I can tell you, across Joint Base San Antonio, we have 20,000 DOD civilian employees -- that is, those who are funded by congressional appropriated funds -- and virtually all of them will be affected by this potential sequester and the furloughs that could potentially come after that, said JBSA spokesperson Brent Boller.

The cuts that were aimed to spur budget talks among members of the Senate and House could be stopped by an act of Congress.

Reports from Washington say both sides of the isle are more concerned about keeping the government in operation through the end of March.

But President Obama told the media last week these cuts are dangerous.

These cuts are not smart, they are not fair, they will hurt our economy; they will add hundreds ofthousands of Americans to the unemployment rolls. This is not an abstraction. People will loosetheir jobs, said the president.

According to numbers from the DOD, Texas would take a huge hit from these cuts. About 34,000 army civilian employees and 16,000 Air Force civilian call Texas home.

Cuts would require that each civilian employee would be furloughed for one day a week, over the course of 22 weeks, for 22 days. They wouldn't be consecutive days, but they would be spread outover this six-month period, says Boller.

If furloughs were to occur on April the 25th, over the course of the furlough, the average DOD civilian would see about a 20 percent reduction in their paychecks, Boller said.

The cuts, if they occur, will take effect April 25 and will last for six months.

The overall plan for sequestering is to trim military spending by over a trillion dollars over 10 years.

Read or Share this story: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2014/07/22/11975924/