Before Tony Romo gracefully stepped aside this week, when he formally moved into his new role as backup quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys while stating that Dak Prescott had "earned the right to be our quarterback," he first made a bid to try and compete for the starting role that's been filled so capably this season by the rookie fourth-rounder, according to The MMQB.
“Tony’s smart,” Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told the website when asked about Romo's reported request. “He’s very bright. And so when he came out and said it, in the end, I don’t think it took him long to figure that wouldn’t be a great thing for the team. We’ve got a good thing, and no one wants Dak looking over his shoulder.”
Jones also doubled down on how the franchise regards Prescott, who has led the Cowboys to a league-best 8-1 record.
“We’ve got supreme confidence that Dak is our future,” Jones said. “We’ve just seen too much. And you may say, ‘Well, it’s only been nine games.’ No, it’s the full body of work. And it’s not just on the field, it’s off the field, too. It’s how he handles every situation — bringing us back down two scores in San Francisco; last week, he leads the game-winning drive twice in Pittsburgh; coming back against Philly.
“He keeps checking every box.”
This would all seem to indicate that Romo, who is expected to be in uniform Sunday for the first time since he injured his back in an August preseason game, and his hefty salary will be moving on in 2017. He said Tuesday, "You spent your career working to get here. Now you have to start all over."
However, Jones told The MMQB that the Cowboys haven't broached the idea that Romo is on the way out of Texas, a notion that owner Jerry Jones seemed to agree with Thursday when he said there was "no consideration" to not have Romo on the roster next year.
Follow Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis