Wednesday's Sports In Brief

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on November 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Updated Thursday, Nov 22 at 4:36 AM

NFL

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has advised league officials and players implicated in the NFL's bounty probe that he plans to complete all hearings by Dec. 4 and make a ruling shortly after.

In a document obtained by The Associated Press, Tagliabue directs the NFL to produce key witnesses in the New Orleans Saints cash-for-hits program, including former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and former defensive assistant Mike Cerullo.

Four players initially were suspended, but those punishments were vacated and Tagliabue appointed to oversee new hearings.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — The college football playoff system will be televised on ESPN for 12 years once it starts after the 2014 season.

The network announced an agreement in principle which will schedule the title game on a Monday night, at least a week after the semifinals.

The deal also includes broadcast rights for the three "host bowls" that will be in the semifinal rotation in years they're not holding playoff games. ESPN already had contracts for the same 12-year period through 2025 with the "contract bowls": the Rose, Sugar and Orange.

The agreement includes rights for TV, radio, mobile, online and international.

NHL

NEW YORK (AP) — NHL labor talks broke off soon after they resumed, with players maintaining their new proposal was a huge economic concession and Commissioner Gary Bettman pretty much saying the only deal he will agree to is the one management proposed last month.

On the 67th day of a lockout that already has wiped out more than a quarter of the season, the sides headed home for Thanksgiving with no end in sight to the sport's fourth work stoppage. The union's negotiating committee planned to brief players Friday.

Union head Donald Fehr said the sides were $182 million apart in a five-year deal, which comes to $1.2 million annually for each of the 30 teams.

BASEBALL

MIAMI (AP) — Mark Buehrle issued a parting shot at the Miami Marlins' management after his stay with the team lasted only one tumultuous season.

The left-hander, who signed a four-year contract a year ago, was part of the blockbuster trade that also sent All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes and right-hander Josh Johnson to the Blue Jays. With the deal, the Marlins pared $146.5 million in future payroll.

Buehrle issued a statement saying, "I was lied to on multiple occasions."

Team President David Samson said the Marlins didn't lie to Buehrle, but instead were compelled to make drastic changes after a last-place finish and disappointing attendance.

BOXING

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The family of Hector "Macho" Camacho are deciding whether he should be removed from life support after a shooting in his hometown left the former champion clinging to life and his fans mourning the loss of a dynamic and often troubled athlete.

Doctors at the Centro Medico trauma center in San Juan found that Camacho had irregular and intermittent brain activity, said Dr. Ernesto Torres, the center's director.

Torres said doctors will conduct additional tests but warned the prognosis remains dire.

The 50-year-old Camacho was shot in the head Tuesday night in the city of Bayamon. His condition worsened overnight and his heart stopped at one point, Torres said.

COLLEGE SPORTS

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Two University of Iowa wrestlers were suspended from the team after they were arrested for illegally hunting rabbits on campus.

Athletic director Gary Barta said freshmen Alex Meyer and Connor Ryan were arrested Tuesday by campus police. Barta said they used BB guns and air rifles during the hunt. Both were suspended indefinitely and will face disciplinary action through school policies.

Meyer is an 18-year-old from suburban Des Moines who wrestles at 174 pounds. Ryan is an 18-year-old from Bettendorf who wrestles at 141 and 149. Neither has wrestled in a match so far this season for Iowa, which is 3-0.

SOCCER

CHICAGO (AP) — Another pro women's soccer league will try to succeed where two previous attempts have failed.

The currently unnamed eight-team league will launch in the spring with clubs located in Boston, Chicago, Kansas City, New Jersey, Portland, Seattle, western New York and Washington.

With a vested interest in ensuring national team players have somewhere to play in the years leading up to the 2015 World Cup, U.S. Soccer is stepping in this time to seek to create a viable economic model. The teams will still be privately owned, but the federation will pay for the salaries of 24 national team players. U.S. Soccer also will fund the league's front office.

Print
Email
|