HOUSTON -- Houston Astros 2nd baseman Jose Altuve was named Sporting News MLB Player of the Year on Thursday morning.
In 2016, Altuve had a career-high 24 home runs to go along with a major league-leading 216 hits and his second American League batting crown in three years.
According to the Sporting News, Altuve is the second player in Astros history to win the honor, joining Jeff Bagwell in 1994.
Voting by MLB players
1. Jose Altuve, Houston Astros-84
2. Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox-64
3. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox-41
4. Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs-36
5. Daniel Murphy, Washington Nationals-26
6. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels-22
7. Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies-20
8. Zach Britton, Baltimore Orioles-14
9. Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers-5
10. Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers-4
Brian Dozier, Minnesota Twins-4
11. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles-2