Costa Rica pulls out of hosting U17 women's WCup

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on February 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Updated Friday, Mar 1 at 4:02 AM

ZURICH (AP) — FIFA is looking for a new country to stage next year's Under-17 Women's World Cup.

The tournament had been planned for Costa Rica but construction delays mean the stadiums will not be ready in time. FIFA says it reached an agreement with the country's soccer federation and attributed the delays to "a number of unforeseen circumstances."

Costa Rica won hosting rights in March 2011, beating out Ghana, Turkey and Uzbekistan. The 16-nation tournament is likely to be scheduled in September 2014.

FIFA says it will evaluate potential hosts before a decision by its executive committee on March 20-21 in Zurich.

Print
Email
|