Tiger Woods withdraws from next two PGA events due to back spasms

After withdrawing from an event in Dubai on Feb. 3, Tiger Woods won’t be playing in the Genesis Opennext week or the Honda Classic the following week.

In a statement released on his web site, Woods says he’s still suffering back spasms.

"My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down," Woods said in a statement. "This is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I am extremely disappointed to miss the Genesis Open, a tournament that benefits my foundation, and The Honda Classic, my hometown event. I would like to thank Genesis for their support, and I know we will have an outstanding week."

After shooting an opening-round 77, Woods withdrew the next day from the Dubai Desert classic. At the time, his agent, Mark Steinberg, said Woods had suffered back spasms after his round.

Coming off the longest layoff in his career due to back surgeries, Woods missed the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open last month at Torrey Pines to start his year.

The 41-year-old had planned an ambitious schedule coming into the year, announcing he’d play in Dubai and then in back-to-back weeks in Los Angeles and Florida.

(© 2017 USA TODAY)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment