Houstonians head back to Boston a year after bombing at marathon

Print
Email
|

by Tim Wetzel / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on April 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 15 at 6:40 PM

HOUSTON — More than 170 Houstonians will take part in this year’s Boston Marathon, and many of those competing ran the race last year when two bombs exploded at the finish line.

“If you live your life stopping everything because you are scared, then they win. We won’t let that happen,” said runner Carlos Desousa.

Desousa missed the explosions by just a few minutes. The blasts killed three people and injured more than 260.

“All my friends and I ran by the bag right before it went off,” said Desousa. “It shook the whole entire block.”

Accountant Mike Velotas, 64, is also returning to Boston to run in the marathon. After running more than a dozen marathons, he first qualified for the elite race last year.

Velotas finished the race and received his medal just as the explosion went off. He plans to go back to show the world that fear won’t keep marathoners from the finish line.

“The determination not to the let the bastards knock us down,” said Velotas. “We’re are going to keep doing what we like to do and the heck with them.”

Print
Email
|