More dives planned; Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on April 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Updated Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:43 PM

MOKPO, South Korea (AP) — Rescuers are planning 40 dives Saturday at the site of the sunken South Korean ferry.

They'll be trying to recover at least some of the bodies believed trapped on board. A diver says he saw three bodies but was unable to recover them.

The captain of the ferry is under arrest on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two crew members are also in custody.

A senior prosecutor said earlier that the captain was not on the bridge as required when the ferry Sewol was passing through an area with many islands clustered closely together. The official also says the captain abandoned people in need of help and rescue, escaping before the passengers.

The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead. The official toll is 29.

Rescuers are searching for about 270 people still missing and feared dead.

Print
Email
|