Japan's PM says no change to comfort women apology

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on March 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Updated Friday, Mar 14 at 12:33 AM

TOKYO (AP) — Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says his government is not considering a revision of the country's 1993 apology for forcing South Korean and other women to have sex with Japanese soldiers during World War II.

Answering questions in parliament, Abe reiterated Friday what his government's top spokesman said earlier this week about the 1993 statement on the so-called comfort women system. He said, "The Abe cabinet has no intention to review it."

The government's intentions came into question after it said it would re-examine the accuracy of interviews conducted more than 20 years ago with former comfort women. The interviews formed part of the basis for the apology.

The issue is straining relations between Japan and South Korea.

Print
Email
|