Family of slain US executive ends Puerto Rico suit

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on January 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 14 at 2:04 AM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The widow of a New Jersey bank executive who was shot to death in Puerto Rico is withdrawing a wrongful death lawsuit she filed against his employer.

In the suit filed last year, Maurice Spagnoletti's widow accused officials at Doral Bank of conspiring to kill him for uncovering fraud at the Puerto Rico-based institution.

The 56-year-old Spagnoletti was shot to death in June 2011 as he drove home in San Juan in what authorities said seemed like a professional attack. He had been an executive vice president at Doral for about six months. No arrests have been made.

Lawyers for Marisa Spagnoletti filed papers to withdraw the suit Monday. They cited the "ongoing criminal investigation."

Doral had called the suit frivolous and said it would seek compensation for legal costs.

Print
Email
|