Death toll rises to 19 in Yemen shelling

Death toll rises to 19 in Yemen shelling

Credit: AFP/Getty Images

Police security are stationed at Sanaa International Airport after the airport was reopened following a strike on, December 23, 2013. Air traffic in Yemen stopped for hours on Monday as staff went on strike over a financial dispute with the government. AFP PHOTO/ MOHAMMED HUWAIS (Photo credit should read MOHAMMED HUWAIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on December 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Updated Saturday, Dec 28 at 1:11 PM

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemeni health officials say the death toll from artillery shells that landed near a funeral tent in the south has risen to 19, including six children.

Security officials said armed residents of Dali, angered over the killing, clashed with army forces Saturday in the southern city of Dali, killing two. The protesters also stormed government buildings.

A day earlier, four shells landed near mourners attending the funeral of a man killed in earlier fighting in the city. Some residents claimed rogue army officers targeted it deliberately. The officials said an investigatory committee arrived Sunday.

Dali was hit by unrest earlier this week, as security forces battled fighters affiliated with a southern regional movement demanding greater autonomy.

All officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to brief reporters.

Print
Email
|