A 3-year-old boy with a known dairy allergy died after eating grilled cheese at his New York City preschool.
An adult at Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem gave Elijah Silvera a grilled cheese sandwich last week despite the school “knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy,” according to a GoFundMe set up for the Silvera family. The school didn’t call 911, but instead called Elijah’s mother, Dina Silvera. It's unknown if epinephrine or an Epipen was at the school.
“Elijah went into anaphylactic shock and was taken to the Pediatric ER at Harlem Hospital, where, tragically, they were unable to save him,” the GoFundMe states.
Elijah's father didn't make it to the hospital in time to see his son before he died, ABC7NY reports.
The Health Department closed the school on Wednesday because of the incident and released a statement saying "we will get to the bottom of what happened here."
"These preventable tragedies must come to an end," Elijah's parents said in a statement.
About 4% to 6% of children in the U.S. suffer from food allergies, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Follow Ashley May on Twitter: @AshleyMayTweets
© 2018 USATODAY.COM