Update: 81-year-old S.A. doctor acquitted of Medicare fraud

Print
Email
|

by Dillon Collier / KENS 5

khou.com

Posted on June 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

SAN ANTONIO -- An elderly San Antonio doctor accused of falsely billing the government for more than $100,000 in Medicare and Medicaid services has been acquitted on all charges.

Dr. Herbert Robinson, 81, avoided a possible multi-year prison sentence.

Federal authorities filed a 31-count indictment against Robinson in 2011.

Robinson was accused of billing the programs for services given to patients who were no longer alive, in some cases.

When asked for a comment about the not guilty verdict Tuesday, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office said simply: "We respect the jury's verdict and thank them for their service."

Dr. Robinson's attorney, Mike McCrum, told KENS 5 last month the doctor's administrative staff had improperly handled claims.

"Dr. Robinson's from the old school and did it the old way. He trusted people and people running his administrative staff, it was just a mess," McCrum said outside federal court last month.

Print
Email
|