Texas woman accidentally sets home on fire after finding snake

Print
Email
|

by CNN & KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on March 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM

LIBERTY EYLAU, Texas -- Snakes give a lot of people the creeps, but now there's a new reason to fear them: One has been blamed for setting a house on fire in North Texas.

A bizarre chain of events led to a massive blaze that completely burned down one home and damaged another on Wednesday night in Bowie County.

The fire chief explained how things went tragically wrong moments after the homeowner made a quick decision after a frightening discovery.

"While cleaning up, she saw a snake, threw gasoline on the snake, and lit the snake on fire," said Deputy Randall Baggett of the Bowie County Sheriff's Office. "And the snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire.

It was not immediate clear whether any charges will be filed.

A neighboring home was also damaged by the fire.

Print
Email
|