Arlington police: Shooting suspect surrenders after eight-hour standoff



Posted on October 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Updated Monday, Oct 28 at 2:57 PM

ARLINGTON — The suspect in a shooting that left one injured and spurred a standoff at an apartment complex has surrendered, Arlington police stated on their Twitter account.

The nearly eight-hour standoff began when authorities were first alerted to multiple shots fired at about 6 a.m. at the Silverwood Apartments, located in the 1100 block of Silverwood Dr.

Upon arriving at the scene, officers spotted a victim on the ground outside an apartment building. However, gunfire from the suspect barricaded inside an apartment hindered their efforts to remove the injured person from the scene for hours, said Sgt. Christopher Cooke, a spokesman with the Arlington Police Department. 

Cooke said police were able to make contact with the barricaded suspect by phone. Just before 11 a.m., officers were able to get to the victim, whose condition is not known. At about 1:35 p.m., Arlington police reported the suspect surrendered on their Twitter account.

"Right now, this is a very serious situation," Cooke said before the surrender. "We believe the suspect has access to multiple weapons. Obviously, he's clearly a danger to the community."

Cooke said the motive for the shooting is not known.

Police set up a perimeter around the complex and used a drone to capture video from the scene.

"Since shots were fired earlier this morning, we want to make sure officers are protected and that their safe," Cooke said. "So, deploying our unmanned helicopter, we're able to get eyes ... right into the scene area."

The Arlington Police Department was the first in North Texas to set up a drone program, which was approved by the Federal Aviation Administration in March.

While about 25 residents were evacuated from the complex, others were "sheltered in place," Cooke said.

Jeff Bidwell, a resident at the complex, said his wife and grandson were able to crawl out a window of an apartment to escape to safety.

"[It was] scary enough for me out here," Bidwell said of the fear his family must have felt as the shots were fired.

Grand Prairie SWAT team assisted the Arlington Police Department.