Sister: Man shot by Colleyville police wasn't holding daughter hostage

Sister: Man shot by Colleyville police wasn't holding daughter hostage

Credit: WFAA

A man was shot by police at a Colleyville home after a standoff on Dec. 26, 2013.




Posted on December 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

COLLEYVILLE, Texas — The sister of a 49-year-old man shot and killed after a standoff said her brother wouldn't have harmed his daughter.

Early Friday morning, Colleyville police reported a man was shot Thursday night after holding a teenage girl against her will inside a home in the 4100 block of Lexington Parkway. Kim Sharif later identified the suspect as her brother, John Lincoln, and the teenage girl as his daughter, Erin.

"She was never a hostage," Sharif said. "She told police she was not afraid. She didn't fear for her safety."

According to a statement released by Colleyville police, a caller reported a possible hostage situation at the residence at about 7:13 p.m. During a later news conference, police said the caller reported that Lincoln made threats against family member and was armed and headed to his mother's home in Colleyville.

"He had made verbal threats to a family member that he was going to do harm to his mother," said a spokesman with the Colleyville Police Department.

Upon arriving at the scene, officers spotted the suspect's vehicle and set up a perimeter around the residence.

Police said officers then witnessed the suspect armed with a gun inside the home. Outside, authorities were able to make contact with Lincoln via a phone inside the home on several occasions. However, police said Lincoln was uncooperative and belligerent.

"At one point, around 7:40 p.m., the subject opened the front door of the house and waved a handgun around and yelled obscenities at the officers and retreated back into the house, slamming the door," the spokesman said.

Police then called the North Tarrant Regional SWAT team and the Richland Hills Police Department for backup.

"Every so often, the gentleman would come to the door, would open the door, wave the handgun around and yell obscenities at the officers," the spokesman said.

More than two hours after the standoff began, police said he exited the home as North Tarrant Regional SWAT members arrived at the scene. Officers fired at the suspect when he pointed his gun at officers, said Keith Bauman, a spokesman with the Colleyville Police Department.

The suspect was struck several times and transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

But, Sharif had a different version of events.

"They shot him inside the house," she said. "Yes, he did have a gun, but the whole situation could have been handled very differently."

No officers were injured in the standoff.

WFAA's Marcus Moore contributed to this report