Posted on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM
The nest was dangling 30 feet over the street in a south-side neighborhood invaded by a swarm of bees.
But the city crew who went out to the 1900 block of Ann Arbor street told neighbors it was not their problem to remove the hive. Even though the bee hive was over the street, the tree was on the property of one of the homeowners. So the homeowner was responsible.
The hive started out as a plastic bag that had become trapped in the tree's branches. Neighbors said after the leaves started falling they noticed the bag turned into a giant hive with thousands of bees buzzing the area.
Neighbors said the owner of the property was in chemotherapy for cancer and didn’t have the means to get the hive down.
So, the health department had a change of heart and planned to take the hive down anyway. That was until a pest control company decided to donate their services and tackle the hive.
Stinger pest control said they heard about the hive from news reports and offered their help. They cut the branch and the rugby-football-size hive came down right into a garbage bag.
The two technicians quickly sprayed a pesticide in the bag and tied it up. They said these insects were Mexican wasps that can be very dangerous.
“They do produce a honey, but we don’t recommend that you eat it, offered Carlos Espinoza of Stinger Pest Control. "It’s not very tasty, and it can be poisonous in some situations. The other thing about them is if they are disturbed they can be very, very aggressive."