McKINNEY, Texas — Six children were injured in an explosion in a residential neighborhood Monday when a gasoline can exploded in a backyard.
The explosion occurred in the 800 block of Center Street just before 2 p.m. when the children were sprinkling gasoline on a fire pit, then put the can down. The fire followed a trail of gas vapors back to the gas can, which exploded.
Four children were flown by air ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment of critical burns. Two other injured children were also taken to area hospitals, one of whom was later released.
The victims range in age from 4 to 11.
McKinney Fire Department spokeswoman Stacie Durham said the children were related and some are siblings.
Adults were in the house at the time of the accident, but may have been left unsupervised in the backyard.
A child who is believed not to have been injured ran into the home and told the adults there was an explosion and the children were on fire, Durham said. A neighbor called 911.
WFAA reporter Jobin Panicker in McKinney and the Associated Press contributed to this report.