HOUSTON – Firefighters said a small kitchen fire set off an apartment’s sprinkler system, causing damage to three units.
The fire broke out around 1 a.m. Tuesday on Bennington Street at Hoffman Street on the northeast side of town, firefighters said.
The first Houston Fire Department units on the scene found a third floor apartment with smoke coming from it. The fire was already out, but most of the damage was done by smoke and the building’s water sprinkler system.
An investigation revealed one of the tenants left food cooking, which set the hood above a stove on fire.
No injuries were reported.