HARRIS COUNTY, Texas -- A family was devastated after returning home early Thursday to find a massive fire had destroyed everything they owned.
It happened on Saddle Creek at Sandy Cliffs in northwest Harris County.
No one was home at the time of the blaze, but a neighbor who saw the flames didn’t know that, and he rushed into action.
Fearing the family may be trapped inside, he tried to force his way in.
“I tried to kick the front door in,” said Jacob Upchurch. “The deadbolt was too strong, so I ran around to the back door -- kicked the back door. Tried to bust a window out but the kitchen was -- it was just too much smoke -- too much fire.”
Luckily, no one was hurt in the fire.
Hours later, firefighters were still trying to figure out what sparked the blaze. They said a candle may have been left burning while the family was out.