HFD: Resident fell asleep while cooking, sparking apartment fire

HFD: Resident fell asleep while cooking, sparking apartment fire

Credit: KHOU

It was around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when the Houston Fire Department was called to the Winding Trails Apartments on Wilcrest Drive at South Drive.

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Apartment fire

View larger map

HOUSTON -- Firefighters were called to an apartment in far southwest Houston after burned food apparently sparked a fire.

It was around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when the Houston Fire Department was called to the Winding Trails Apartments on Wilcrest Drive at South Drive.

Firefighters said they found a second-floor unit on fire. They were able to put it out in about 15 minutes.

“I was sleeping and the neighbor was screaming,” said one resident. “I heard the alarm, and I just got up and left. There was some smoke in my apartment as well.”

A preliminary investigation indicated a resident fell asleep while cooking, according to HFD.

No injuries were reported.

Print
Email
|