GALVESTON — A house fire started by a hot plate on the coldest night of the season claimed the life of a duplex resident, but his wife escaped the blaze with minor injuries, fire officials and neighbors said.
Brady Matthews, 77, was found dead at 9:45 p.m. Monday in his bedroom on the first level of the two-story home in the 2400 block of Avenue P½, officials said.
John Florence, a spokesman for the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office, said the office would await test results to determine whether Matthews died of smoke inhalation or from flames.
Upstairs neighbors said they escaped with Matthews’ wife, Josephine Matthews, 77. She remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon in good condition at the University of Texas Medical Branch for treatment of smoke inhalation, said Elizabeth Rogers, a spokeswoman for the city.
Click here to read more at the Galveston County Daily News.