HOUSTON -– Investigators believe food left on the stove unattended set fire to a home on the south side of town early Friday morning.
According to the Houston Fire Department, the fire broke out around 1:15 a.m. on Bungalow Lane at Sandrock Drive. The first firefighters on the scene found flames and smoke coming from the one-story home, but they were able to quickly get it under control.
According to the fire chief, a woman was sleeping in the home while her brother was cooking. The food was apparently left unattended, and it set the kitchen on fire.
Officials said the brother and sister made it out okay.
The fire burned the kitchen and part of the living room, but HFD said firefighters did a good job of putting it out before it spread to the rest of the home.