HOUSTON – Two electricians have been charged in connection with the death of a 27-year-old Richmond man who was electrocuted while swimming at a west Houston hotel.
James Ray Pyle, 34, and Jason Joseph Gorczyca, 35, are both charged with criminally negligent homicide in the death 27-year-old Raul Hernandez, according to court records.
Hernandez was shocked to death while rescuing a child from a swimming pool at the Hilton Houston Westchase hotel at 9999 Westheimer.
Both men have not been taken into custody at this time.
“As we continue to grieve Raul’s loss, we are pleased that so much progress has been made to determine those responsible for his death,” Maria Isabel Duran, Hernandez’s mother, said in a statement released by the family’s attorney. “Although these charges will not bring Raul back, we hope the notoriety of this case will ensure a tragedy like this does not happen to another family.”
According to the Houston Police Department, Hernandez was swimming with his family at the hotel pool Labor Day weekend.
At dusk, the pool lights came on and people in the pool began to complain of being shocked. Hernandez swam to the deep end of the pool to help a child out of the pool.
He was able to get the child out of the pool, but could not get out himself. When bystanders pulled Hernandez from the water, he went into cardiac arrest.
The bystanders performed CPR and called 911.
Hernandez was then transported to Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital. He was pronounced dead Sept. 6.
Hernandez’s family filed a lawsuit in October against Hilton Hotels and the Houston-area electrical contractor Brown Electric Inc., which had performed recent upgrades to the pool’s electrical system alleging “gross negligence of epic proportions.”
Both Pyle and Gorczyca no longer employed by Brown Electric.