Phoenix police officer shot, suspect in custody


by Marcy McMacken, Catherine Holland and Mike Gertzman

Video report by Ryan O'Donnell

Posted on January 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Updated Monday, Jan 7 at 9:00 PM

PHOENIX -- A police officer was shot Sunday night in the 2100 block of West Georgia Avenue, which is along 21st Avenue between Camelback and Bethany Home roads.

According to Sgt. Trent Crump of the Phoenix Police Dept., an officer noticed a man who was riding a bicycle because apparently something didn't look right.

That officer stopped the man on the bicycle. Investigators are not exactly sure what happened next, but gunshots were fired. The suspected shooter fled on foot.

The 36-year-old officer, a four-year veteran of the Phoenix Police Department, was shot at least twice, once in the face and once in the stomach. Crump said Monday morning that the officer is in stable condition and would undergo surgery later in the day. He will likely have his jaw wired shut. Doctors plan to leave a bullet lodged in his lower back in place.

Within minutes of the shooting, police converged on the neighborhood, set up a large perimeter and launched a search, including checking cars as they left the area. A Phoenix Police helicopter was lending air support to that search.

A suspect was later found by a canine unit and other officers hiding in shed. Police suspect he is the man on the bicycle who shot the officer.

Officers also found there was a break-in at a nearby house. Investigators said it's possible that the man on the bicycle is the one who broke into that home, which might be the incident that led up to the shooting at about 9 p.m. Sunday.

The suspect is also getting medical attention. He was shot and wounded in the hands.

Police have not released the name of the wounded officer or the name of the suspect in custody.

Investigators were on scene all night and into the morning, working to piece together the events leading up to the shooting.

"We're still holding a perimeter and within the perimeter that we had the search going on there were a number of items found," Crump said. "There were different locations where we found a weapon. It appears the suspect may have broken into a house at another location. We've got a location where we found him in a shed hidden in a backyard. So there are number of places inside but we are very comfortable at this point that we have the suspect in custody."

Detectives were hoping to wrap up the on-scene portion of their investigation by 8:30 a.m.