CONROE, Texas (AP) — A 3-year-old girl is in critical condition after being severely burned while standing near an outdoor fire in Southeast Texas.
A news release from the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office on Sunday says the youngster suffered burns over about 75 percent of her body. The accident occurred near her home in an unincorporated part of the county between Magnolia and Tomball.
The release states that initial reports indicated that old gasoline was disposed of on the fire shortly before the accident.
Fire officials say weathered gasoline can be even more volatile than fresh gasoline, especially when poured near an open flame.
The girl's family took her to a hospital in Tomball. She was then taken by helicopter to a burn center in Galveston.