Woman using vacuum cleaner at Beaumont mall burned

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on January 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Updated Friday, Jan 3 at 7:32 AM

BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) — A freak accident at a Southeast Texas mall has left a worker burned after a vacuum cleaner she was using started her clothes on fire.

Beaumont police say the accident happened late Thursday morning at the Macy's store at Parkdale Mall.

Police say a 39-year-old contract worker was using a backpack-style vacuum cleaner when the cord shorted out and set her clothes ablaze. Emergency responders in Beaumont treated her for second- and third-degree burns to her back, then the woman was transported to a hospital burn unit in Galveston.

The name of the burned woman and further details on her injuries weren't immediately released.

A message left with Macy's store management in Beaumont wasn't immediately returned.

Print
Email
|