(CBS/AP) -- A gunman opened fire at a high school in southern France on Thursday, reportedly wounding a staff member and two others before being taken into custody.
Police did not immediately confirm casualties or any other details of the incident.
French television reports said one man -- a student at the school -- was taken into custody after three people, including the school’s head teacher, or principal, were fired on.
Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said a 17-year-old student from the school was arrested after Thursday’s shooting.
“We are still in the phase of rescue, of searching for a possible second perpetrator,” Brandet said on BFM television. He said it is too early to know the motives for the attack.
Christian Estrosi, a senior regional government official, told the French news agency AFP the shooting was not being investigated as a terror attack. He said the principal and two pupils were lightly injured.
Police from Nice helped respond to the incident in Grasse.
An employee of a nearby electronics store said police had asked residents to stay indoors. An employee of sports chain Decathlon, which has a branch less than 500 meters from the high school, said he’d seen about 40 high school students leaving from the area and gathering in a nearby parking lot.
The French national government sent out a regional alert warning of the attack at the high school after local police reported shots had been fired. The alert came in a system implemented by the government after the deadly November 2015 attacks in Paris.
© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.