SPLENDORA, Texas -- Several Splendora ISD students were sent to the emergency room Thursday after taking prescription drugs distributed by their classmate at Peach Creek Elementary.
“It was a diabetes medicine is all I know,” said Sandra Norton, whose great-grandson was one of the nine children affected. “They were told it was candy. What kid isn’t going to take candy?”
Jeff Burke, the district’s superintendent, says as soon as staff realized what had happened, they called in the district nurse, who is an RN. She evaluated all the children and, though none exhibited negative reactions to the drugs, recommended they all be checked out in the emergency room.
“I went to the emergency room to speak with all parents and visit with kids, just to let them know I understood their concern,” Burke said. “I wanted to let them know that we were on top of the situation and offer support if there was anything more we could do.”
Though there were no negative physical reactions, Norton says the children, which she says were all kindergarteners, got emotional.
“Most of them have never had their fingers poked in their life and one little girl just went ballistic. They didn’t know what was going to happen,” she said. “They were really afraid.”
Burke says as much of a scare as this was, it could have been worse.
“It’s a teachable moment for us and for parents as well to make sure that we’re monitoring our kids and making sure they understand the dangers of ingesting something,” Burke said.
Norton agrees, saying parents should be on the front line to prevent something like this from happening.
“They need to watch what kids can get into at home,” she said. “They need to make sure things like that are put up where they cannot get to them for the safety of their own child as well as other children.”
Splendora ISD released the following statement:
“Parents, today an incident occurred on one of our elementary campuses where a student brought prescription medication from home and distributed it to several classmates. This incident was isolated and all students affected are being monitored by medical professionals. We commend the elementary staff for responding so quickly to identify the students affected and for contacting their parents. The safety of our students is our top priority and we ask for your help in speaking with your child about the dangers of taking any unknown substance. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this situation.”
© 2018 KHOU-TV