HOUSTON - Pine Falls Drive in the Copperfield subdivision of Northwest Houston is usually pretty quiet on a normal Saturday morning. But this morning was not normal.
"It's been a wild morning," laughed resident Debbie Clelland.
Just after 3 a.m., neighbors called 911 to report an explosion and fire in a home's backyard. The man was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.
"Investigators found what we call precursors of possible explosives, chemicals and things like that at this house also," said Dep. Chief Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office.
Neighbors said the man who lives at the home builds homemade bottle rockets.
"You could hear those off and on. One neighbor said it shook his windows one day," said Clelland. "We found one in our yard. It was made with a PVC pipe."
Hensley told KHOU 11 that investigators found indications of fireworks and those are being collected and processed. He warned that making homemade fireworks is never a good idea.
"You shouldn't be making or manufacturing your own fireworks," Hensley said. "Go buy the proper fireworks when it's time. Don't experiment. Just be safe."
Once investigators have tested all the materials they found in the home, they'll present their case to the Harris County District Attorney's Office, who will then decide whether charges will be filed. Neighbors said they're just happy the man wasn't seriously hurt and that no one else's home was damaged.
"I think it's one of those places where when something happens to a neighbor, people still care and want to make sure everybody's OK," said resident Ed Hogan.
© 2017 KHOU-TV