HARRIS COUNTY, Texas - A Harris County Sheriff’s deputy found dead in his Cypress home last month died of bacterial meningitis, according to the medical examiner.
Officers with Harris County Constable Precinct 4 responded to a welfare check call July 26 in the 20000 block of Sunshine Ridge Lane.
Deputies smelled a gas odor in the area and called the fire department.
Deputies found Deputy Michael Collins, a 26-year veteran of HCSO, dead in his home.
The Medical Examiner's Office released Collins' official cause of death as Streptococcus pneumoniae bacterial meningitis.
© 2018 KHOU-TV