Houston area colleges ready to assist ITT students

Thousands of former ITT Tech students are now trying to figure out what to do next. KHOU 11 News has been working to help them by looking into options for them.

HOUSTON - Thousands of Houston area students are wondering what to do next after the announcement of ITT Technical Institute closing on Tuesday. Lone Star College, Houston Community College and San Jacinto College announced that they are ready to assist those students affected. 

Officials at all three major community college systems in the area say they are ready and willing to take students from the now-defunct ITT Technical Institute. Lone Star College, Houston Community College and San Jacinto College are preparing to accept many of the the institute's former students.

Lone Star even set up a website, ITTHelp.com, to direct students to its campuses.

"We want people to know we are here to help," said Dr. Gerald Napoles, president of Lone State College - North Harris. "We will have advisors call students and help them understand their options."

Officials say ITT credits may transfer, but an advisor will have to determine what each community college will accept. 

"They can definitely get credit for what they have establised at ITT," said David Garza of Houston Community College. "We hope to accomodate as many students as possible.

The U.S. Department of Education says former students may have the option of having their federal student loan debt forgiven if ITT credits will not transfer through a program called "closed school discharge."

Local community colleges say they want to make the transition for ITT students as smooth as posisble.

"I would say don't worry. Give us a call. Sit down with advisor and let us talk to you," Garza said.

Houston Community College Resources 

For students interested in transferring to HCC, they should call the student services information line at (713) 718-2277. All credits that have been earned at ITT Tech are transferrable to HCC.

Financial aid and student advisors will handle every situation on a case-by-case basis.

Veterans can log on to their Veterans Affairs site for more information about the admission process.

For students wanting to begin class immediately. HCC offers a second start semester beginning on Sept. 19. Students are able to register for classes at any of the 23 HCC campuses throughout the Houston area. 

A full list of each of its campuses location and contact information is available here

Jobs are also available at HCC. ITT faculty and staff will find listings of all open positions here

Lone Star College Resources

For students interested in transferring to Lone Star College, they should visit this help site for more information. 

On Wednesday, Sept. 7, Lone Star College advisors will be available at 9 a.m. to answer questions and assist ITT students. Advisors can be reached by email at ITThelp@LoneStar.edu or by calling (281) 362-7827. 

ITT students can view a list of Lone Star College’s current programs of study here.

San Jacinto College Resources 

Students can visit their site or call (281) 998-6150 to speak with an educational planner/ advisor or a financial aid representative on the San Jacinto College campus nearest to them. Educational planners and advisors can provide answers to financial aid, credit transfer, credit by exam and more.

(© 2016 KHOU)


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment