HOUSTON - The popular Gulf Coast Animal Emergency Hospital had an emergency of its own after smoke filled parts of the building late Thursday morning.
Dozens of animals and staff were evacuated to the roof when smoke began coming up from the basement. It was "organized chaos" as a skilled team of nurses and vets got all of the pets out in five to seven minutes.
The fire at the hospital, located on the West Loop near Post Oak, was traced to one of its dryers in the basement. There was no serious damage.
Views from Air 11 showed the situation was under control by noon and the animals and workers were allowed back in. They were able to reopen the hospital and even resume surgeries Thursday afternoon.
© 2018 KHOU-TV