HOUSTON – A female homeowner was found dead as firefighters responded to a fire in southeast Houston, officials said late Wednesday.
Daniel Kopfensteiner with the Houston Fire Department said the fire was reported around 8 p.m. at a home on Jean Street near the Gulf Freeway.
Firefighters arrived to find moderate smoke coming from the woman’s one-story home. Rescuers went in and found the woman dead in a back bedroom.
The fire was mostly contained to the woman’s bedroom.
Investigators believe the woman may have fallen asleep with a lit cigarette or candle in the room, but an official cause for the blaze wasn’t immediately determined.