HARRIS COUNTY – Two children were airlifted after they suffered severe burns from touching a power line Sunday afternoon in north Harris County.
The children, a 3-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl, were in their backyard when they came into contact with the line.
A sergeant with the Pct. 4 Constable’s Office said that the children were swinging from a loose guy wire, which is used to support the pole. The wire came in contact with a live power line and sent a charge through the wire the children were playing with.
"It was a big old pop," said Laurie McNeill, a neighbor who heard it happen while watching TV with her husband. "It sounded like something blew up. That’s why we rushed outside."
McNeill was horrified when she saw the injured children on the ground.
"The girl wasn’t breathing. Her dad was doing CPR," she said. "I’m still shaken because my grandson plays with them."
The victims were taken to Shriners Hospital in Galveston to be treated for severe burns.
"She got it the worse. It was all over her front and her top," McNeill said.
Neighbors say the family reported the downed wire to CenterPoint a few days ago, but no one ever came out to repair it.
CenterPoint said that they will conduct an investigation into the issue of the loose guy wire.