TEXAS CITY, Texas – Texas City officials lifted an overnight shelter-in-place they said was caused by a hydrochloric acid leak that sent nine workers and firefighters to the hospital.
The shelter-in-place was issued just before midnight Wednesday.
According to Texas City Emergency Management, the leak occurred in a storage tank at the Dallas Chemical Plant on Dock Road. Police closed Loop 197 in both directions as firefighters arrived on the scene.
Five workers and four firefighters suffered burning eyes and respiratory issues from the chemical cloud and were sent to the hospital to be checked out. They were listed in stable condition.
Officials said the tank somehow ruptured and 300 gallons of acid leaked out, creating strong fumes. Nearby residents were asked to stay indoors and turn off their air conditioners.
The all clear was given around 5 a.m. Thursday.