LA MARQUE, Texas -– The entire top floor of an apartment building in La Marque burned in an early-morning fire Wednesday.
The blaze was reported in the 1700 block of FM-519 shortly before 3 a.m., according to officials from the La Marque Fire Department.
Most residents were asleep at the time, so some of the neighbors said they went door-to-door to make sure everyone got out unharmed.
“We just started running and jumping, getting everyone out, telling everyone to leave,” said Ordell Montague.
Officials said a total of seven families lost their homes. The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist in locating housing for the victims.
There was no early word on what may have caused the fire.
As of 6 a.m. FM-519, also known as Main Street, remained closed in both directions not far from the Gulf Freeway.