HOUSTON -- Firefighters said there was no harm to residents near a car recycling facility that caught fire overnight in northeast Houston.
There were concerns the toxic smoke coming from the blaze could be dangerous to the surrounding community, but a shelter-in-place was not issued.
The fire broke out around 11 p.m. Wednesday on Wallisville Road near N. Wayside, according to the Houston Fire Department.
Responding firefighters found a 30-foot pile of recycled car parts burning. Officials doused the smoldering pile and checked for any possible chemical release.
Investigators believe the mound self-combusted due to the previous day’s heat.