Neighbor alerts sleeping elderly couple when fire breaks out on patio of SE Houston home

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on March 21, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Updated Friday, Mar 21 at 7:10 AM

HOUSTON -- A fast-acting neighbor helped an elderly couple escape from their burning home in southeast Houston early Friday.

According to the Houston Fire Department, the couple was sound asleep at their house on Gertin at Scott around 12:35 a.m. when a mini refrigerator on their back indoor patio caught fire and flames spread to the back wall.

A neighbor who lives behind the house saw the flames and banged on the door, waking up the couple.

The husband and wife escaped without harm.

HFD arrived and extinguished the blaze. The refrigerator possibly had a short, which caused the fire to ignite.

Print
Email
|