Man seriously burned after flare gun discharges in pocket


by Rucks Russell / KHOU 11 News

Posted on April 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 9 at 6:40 PM

HOUSTON -- Flare guns are supposed to keep people safe; but, a man who was badly injured by one of them considers them to be dangerous weapons.

“They’re very dangerous,” said Jamie Miller, who suffered third-degree burns down both of his legs during an accident that occurred in January.

Miller said it happened as he was about to go fishing one night with a friend.

“I grabbed the flare gun and I put it in my pocket because I was going to be on the water,” said Miller.

But when he tried to pull it out, he said the gun accidentally went off.

“I heard a boom like a gunshot and the neighbors came out and asked if I was okay,” Miller said.

He spent three weeks in the hospital and underwent several skin graph procedures.

The flare gun is made by Orion Safety Products. Nowhere on its packaging does it mention how to properly stow the device.

Attorney Jason Gibson has filed a lawsuit accusing the manufacturer of negligence.

“If they manufacture a gun without any safety measures on it, they have a duty to warn about the things you can or cannot do with their product,” said Gibson.

Orion Safety Products officials refused to comment because of the pending legal matter.

In the meantime, Miller said he will never use a flare gun again.

“I don’t want to see anyone else go through what I did,” he said.