10-year-old playing with fireworks burns down family's entire home

10-year-old playing with fireworks burns down family's entire home

A 10-year-old girl playing with fireworks cost her family their entire house and almost everything in it.

Print
Email
|

by Drew Karedes / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on December 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 7 at 6:36 PM

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas -- A 10-year-old girl playing with fireworks cost her family their entire house and almost everything in it.

It happened on Sage Brush Court in Conroe in the early afternoon on New Year's Eve.

The girl admits she was using Roman Candles on the front porch, and her 12-year-old brother and 13-year-old sister were playing nearby.

Montgomery County fire investigators say one of the fireworks ignited others on the family's porch. Items being kept outside for an upcoming yard sale added fuel to the fire.

"I lost everything, but not my faith. I got my faith," said father Marcos Berrios.

Marcos Berrios was doing mechanic work in the backyard when the fire started.

A neighbor from across the street alerted Berrios to what was happening out front.

"Within talking to him, it was a small fire. By the time we got the family out and I called 911. The whole porch was engulfed and the house was covered in black smoke," said neighbor Damien Alexander.

The flames ripped through the three bedrooms in minutes.

The family of five escaped with their five Chihuahuas, but almost everything inside the home was destroyed. That includes presents that were opened a week ago from Christmas.

Two minivans parked outside were also ruined.

"It's just a house. The important thing is we're all safe together," said 13-year-old Lesly Berrios.

A few belongings from inside the house were salvaged, including a musical instrument and a bible.

Neighbors are now donating essentials to the family that lost so much. They are now staying with other family members and trying to figure out where to go from here.

Print
Email
|