KATY, Texas – School district officials have removed Uncle Ben’s Mexican Infused Rice from their campuses after it caused dozens of students at three Katy ISD elementary schools to get sick on Thursday.
Officials with the Katy Independent School District confirmed on Friday that a total of 57 students and staff were affected by the allergic reaction after eating the rice for lunch at Wolman, Morton Ranch and Kilpatrick Elementary schools.
However, they did say that the rice was not part of a recent recall as previously suspected.
District officials said that the lot numbers of the packaged rice distributed by Labatt Food Services were not among the lots recalled. They added that they followed proper procedure along with the distributor.
The district said that they are removing the rice as a precautionary measure to prevent others from being affected.
"Out of an abundance of caution we are voluntarily removing all Foodservice UNCLE BEN’S Infused Rice products from the marketplace," representatives with Uncle Ben's said in a released statement.
Uncle Ben's is only removing their Infused Rice product, which is distributed to schools, and not products distributed to grocery stores.
Those affected by the rice suffered from shortness of breath, an itchy rash and a warm sensation without fever.