HOUSTON –- Residents at a Galleria extended stay hotel were forced out of their rooms late Wednesday after two floors filled with smoke, Houston firefighters said.
The incident occurred shortly before 10 p.m. at the Sonesta ES Suites on Hidalgo at Sage.
Firefighters evacuated the entire hotel and then put out a fire in a dryer that apparently shorted out and overheated. The damage was contained to the laundry room, but the smoke overwhelmed two floors of the building.
The hotel had all the residents go to the restaurant across the street and provided free food until they were allowed back in.