HOUSTON -- Fire crews responded to a chemical spill Thursday afternoon in west Houston.
The Houston Fire Department said they were called to the 3300 block of Rogerdale Road around 1:15 p.m. for an ammonia leak coming from equipment at the location.
Fire officials said at least 15 units were on scene, including the HFD Hazardous Materials unit and multiple medial crews.
Officials said the leak occurred at Natural Best, a fruit and vegetable company. Their produce must be refrigerated and anhydrous ammonia is used for that process.
Thursday’s chemical leak involved four cylinders of anhydrous ammonia. Firefighters were able to secure the leak. One percent of the chemical leaked into the air. The building was being ventilated.
Authorities said 100 workers were inside the building at the time of the spill. Employees were evacuated from the building. A decontamination site was set up and about 20 employees were evaluated by paramedics.
No one had to be transported to the hospital.