HOUSTON -– Firefighters were called to a townhome fire early Wednesday that they later found out was accidentally set by a woman who had just moved in, officials said.
The fire was reported around 2:20 a.m. on Woodchase at Westpark, according to the Houston Fire Department.
The first firefighters on the scene found flames shooting from a second floor window. They made a fast attack to get it under control, but the fire had already damaged two units with a few others receiving water and smoke damage.
Everyone made it out safely, and no injuries were reported.
According to HFD, the unit where the fire started just had a tenant move in earlier in the day. The female resident apparently lit candles in her bedroom and then left them unattended. The flames spread to some items in the bedroom, which then set fire to the building.
Investigators said the woman was not using the candles for light but rather for aroma.