HFD: Smoking in bed led to elderly man’s death

Print
Email
|

by Tim Wetzel / KHOU 11 News & KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on February 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Updated Friday, Feb 1 at 9:05 AM

HOUSTON -- Investigators with the Houston Fire Department said an elderly man died Thursday night after a cigarette he was smoking apparently lit his mattress on fire.
 
The man, who police said was 80 years old, was found dead inside his apartment just after 11:15 p.m.
 
Neighbors tell us he was a grandfather who was staying with his grandson.
 
"They are wonderful neighbors," said Gloria Nation, who lives in the apartment next door.
 
"They smoked a lot though," said Nation. "It was an accident."
 
HFD said firefighters were called to the apartments on MLK at Park Village and found the victim dead after a small fire.
 
They were able to keep the flames contained to the victim's bedroom.

Print
Email
|