HFD: Resident ignored warning, igniting townhome fire

HFD: Resident ignored warning, igniting townhome fire

The fire broke out shortly before 3 a.m. on Ormandy Street near S. Main Street, according to HFD.

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on May 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Updated Wednesday, May 15 at 2:37 PM

HOUSTON – Investigators with the Houston Fire Department said a resident ignored their warnings about an electrical issue in his or her townhome, leading to an overnight fire.

The fire broke out shortly before 3 a.m. on Ormandy Street near S. Main Street in far southwest Houston, according to HFD.

HFD said firefighters were initially called to the scene about a little smokE coming from a bathroom. They shut off the electricity and found a faulty fan. HFD said the resident was warned to leave the power off and hire an electrician to come out.

According to investigators, however, as soon as HFD left the scene the resident turned back on the power, leading to a larger fire. Exposed wires caught fire in the attic area, burning two units.

No injuries were reported.

Print
Email
|